View Single Post
Old
07-05-2012, 06:12 PM
tips

vCash: 500
Question for car people

Hopefully a few people here can lend their opinion.

I'm getting close to ending a 2-year search for my next car. Yes, its taken me a while to do research, save up the funds, and work out what will fit me best for something that will most likely need to last me another 8-10 years like my current car has. I basically want a larger version of my current vehicle, which is a small hatchback. It has to be fun to drive, good in the city, good on gas, but can still pack it full of stuff and take it on long road/camping/ski trips. It has to be practical.

In a perfect world, I would prefer an AWD wagon, but since we North Americans won't buy them, auto makers don't sell them here anymore, while europe get's all the sporty alpine wagons that wagon lovers like myself lust after. Alas, we can only buy what options we're given on this side of the world. That said, AWD wagons do exist here, but only if you can afford them as only luxury brands seem to offer them. BMW 3-series touring, Audi A4 Avant (and soon to be re-released awesome Allroad), Infiniti EX, and even the Volvo XC60/XC70 put themselves out of many people's reasonable price ranges when it comes right down to it. VW sells a golf wagon but it only comes in FWD, beyond that, almost all car makers sell hatchbacks that are built on affordable compact/small car sedan siblings, but when it comes to midsize or full size cars, these 5th door versions have become extinct, replaced by SUV's.

For example, Subaru used to sell the Legacy wagon here. But 4 years ago it decided that nah, "it's too much like the Outback" and stopped selling it (but sells it, and the Outback, together elsewhere in other countries), which if you compare a gigantic Outback to a normal size sedan is a stretch connection at best. Subaru is releasing the XV here soon (which is basically a Outback'd Impreza), but it's got the same amount of cargo space as my current car, which isn't enough.

Beyond that, what else is there aside from CUV's and SUV's? Even though it's not a wagon, I really wanted to like the new Mazda CX-5. But once i sat in one and checked it out, I was underwhelmed. I don't think it will be large enough for future (IE family) needs. So, right now, I have things nailed down to the refreshed 2013 Subaru Outback (despite it size), or the completely redesigned 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe (despite being a SUV).

That being said, I did recently find a still new and un-sold 2011 Saab 9-3X Sportcombi wagon that I would defiantly consider since they are being sold at heavily discounted rates (when you can find one). But it's at a dealership in another province and would require some logistics, and of course considering that Saab is now out of business, there's a good amount of risk there, but the sale price is hard to ignore.

Does anyone -
- Have any suggestions that I haven't considered? (I have considered much more then I've listed here, FYI)

and/or

- Have experience with Saab's?

Sorry about the long post, Thanks in advance.