View Single Post
Old
07-05-2012, 06:54 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
First - I think it's really crappy the way this worked out, and I feel for the NSH fans.

I think it comes down to players having to be adults. Suter earned the right to be a UFA - so I don't have any problems with him wanting to test the market. But it sure seems now like it was a foregone conclussion that he wasn't going to resign - which is not what he told Poile. Poile can't make Suter sign a long-term deal, but IMO the player 100% owes the GM a realistic anwser to the question "What are you thinking come 7/1?".

I wholeheartedly understand that is a REALLY difficult discussion to have - but IMO Suter owed that to his teammates and his organization. If he knew he was goign to bolt - man up and tell Poile. As it is, he burnt bridges and looks like a coward IMO.
I got the sense all along that he was sort of beating around the bush as far as re-signing in Nashville. Over the course of the season, his supposed "issues" with our team were solved for him which I don't think he was expecting. He wanted us to prove we wanted to win. So we added a bunch at the deadline. He wanted us to prove we were committed to winning. So we threw a ton of money at him and more than 3 mil/year at a guy like Gaustad to prove we need these role players.

I think he was under the belief that he could make these requests and then leave because we wouldn't come through with those. Once we started to I got the sense that he started thinking to himself "Oh ****. I'm running out of ways to avoid re-signing. Now what do I do?" Luckily for him, Parise and Minnesota came calling and he was able to pull out a new list of excuses for "maybe" not re-signing. Family, "close to home", wife is from there, blah blah. The whole thing has always stunk of someone who always had next year's plans in the back of his mind.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote