Thread: Speculation: Shea Weber
View Single Post
Old
07-05-2012, 07:52 PM
achdumeingute

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
They are much more likely to match the long-term offer sheet (if Weber even signs -- which I doubt he would do). This impasse here isn't about Nashville lacking cash for just Weber alone. It's a question of asset management given that Weber might not be willing to stay. If Weber wants to have an exit strategy, signing a long-term OS would probably backfire on him and get him stuck in Nashville for 10+ years. It leaves him too vulnerable in regards to plotting his own future. I don't see that happening.

Weber would be more likely to sign the one-year OS because it doesn't threaten his status as UFA in a year from now. And Nashville would be more likely to find themselves in a pickle because you make them face an all-or-nothing situation where they get 4 1st round picks vs absolutely nothing if he walks.
all true. I still don't know if they have the finances for 30m out in one calendar year, in addition to their other obligations.

Huge risk though if we got him for 4 firsts and he walks from us next year. And we couldn't trade him or sign him to an extension during the year, correct?

Too much risk with the 1 yr option IMO.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote