View Single Post
Old
07-05-2012, 09:38 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsy View Post
Calgary is spinning its tires and reminds me of the JFJ years in Toronto. I'm not sure if it's Feaster or upper management from him but the team has 0 chance of winning the cup and needs to trade Iggy and Kipper before the value becomes nil. Signing Wideman and Hudler for the length of time they did makes sense to me if they need a top six winger and offensive defenseman to get over the hump and become a contender. I know of no one who thinks this team is built to play long into spring. If Iggy, Kipper or Gio gets hurts there is scarce depth to fill those holes. It'll be a testament to Feaster's legacy if the Flames are stuck in 10th or 11th by trade deadline next season and Iggy or Kipper don't move for some quality assets. I would like to look forward to a time when the Flames legitimately look to be building for a cup or contending for a cup. Imo, Feaster isn't "kind of a genius" by signing an offensive guy with huge defensive issues and a flaky yet dynamic top six winger. He's a GM of a very average NHL team.
If the Flames are out of the playoffs this year, I could no longer be reluctant to rebuild. I always hated Brent Sutter and I'm a firm believer that he was the fundamental reason for our years of inadequacies. The Flames were considered a consistent playoff team trying to get past the first round, and during those years we were using weaker teams.

Our starting 2008-09 Roster for the year of making the playoffs was:

Cammy - Langkow - Iginla
Borque - Conroy - Burtuzzi
Glencross - Lombardi - Moss
Nystrom - Primeau - Boyd

Reghre - Phaneuf
Giordano - Sarich
Vandermeer - Pardy

Mind you, we were very beaten up when we reached the playoffs and lost to a very good Blackhawks team. We had a combination of youth and vets, and that year we saw a lot of goals, especially in unexpected areas (Glencross, Bourque, Moss, Burtuzzi, Langkow) Since then, we have been missing the playoffs. We now have the following roster this year (assuming):

Tangauy - Cammy - Iginla
Glen - Cervenka - Hudler
Baertschi - Backlund - Stempniak
Aliu - Stajan - Comeau

Bouwmeester - Wideman
Giordano - Butler
Brodie - Sarich

The 08 roster is comparable to the current roster. Lots of youth, proven vets, and good goaltending. No that we have got rid of the one coach that kept us from the playoffs since the lock-out, I believe our team can perform better than your expectations. And to say that we don't have depth, we have 8 players that scored 20 goals in their careers, and have potential goal scorers in Cervenka, Backlund, Baertschi, and Aliu. However, guys like Stajan, Tanguay, Stempniak and Comeau are likely to drop from their career highs, but keep in mind that Stajan, Stempniak and Comeau are still only 28, 29 and 26 years old.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote