View Single Post
Old
07-05-2012, 10:16 PM
sixgunsdad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
What is starting to bug me about SJ, is that they seem unable to fill gaps that are easy to fill.

They have a fantastic top-six, and now a fantastic defense. I had no issues with trading a prospect like Coyle, for example, because the odds are he would never crack the SJ top-six. Even when they traded Bernier, Carle, multiple late-firsts, I've been OK with it because players like that (or drafted there) don't typically have a big impact. They've got a top-six that could play for another 5+ years, and outside of maybe Ryane Clowe, is full of guys I'd like to keep. Boyle is old, but otherwise the defense looks promising.

Why then, has this team had garbage on the third lines and bottom-pairing for so long?

Those kinds of assets are readily available on the market. All you need is salary, most times! Up front, why did DW take so long to fix the mistake in Handzus when he acquired Winnik? Why wasn't a guy like Moore signed in <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">free</a> agency? Why'd he have to wait for bargains like Malhotra, Roenick and Wellwood (despite the fact that they worked out) when they had the cap space? Why was waste-of-space Mitchell on the team for so long? I think DW was smart to get rid of players like Kaspar, Bernier, and Plihal when it was clear that they no longer could produce here; why were players like Mitchell, Goc, and Grier tolerated for so long? Why didn't DW keep Curtis Brown or Travis Moen, both who signed for <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">very</a> reasonble deals? Why not keep Wellwood on his bargain of a deal?

It also hurts that whenever DW does address the issue, it ends up blowing up in his face (Grier, Handzus, Lemieux).

Just my frustrated ramblings at 5 in the morning....
Add to that - why keep a coaching staff who's PK is steadily gone down hill?

sixgunsdad is offline   Reply With Quote