View Single Post
Old
07-06-2012, 12:37 AM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
You misunderstand my point I think. I'm not against the point being given out. The Kings made the playoffs because they were in the top 8 in points, and that's what's all about.

I'm just trying to eliminate this notion that ".500" = "average". It used to be, but it's not anymore. .500 is your average winning percentage in every league, because every time 1 team wins a game, another team loses a game... you add them all up, and everyone comes out .500 on average. People have this notion built into their heads because that's how it works in every other sport that doesn't have ties (basketball, football, and now hockey).

However, .500 no longer means average... .500 is now the watermark in the NHL for "your team sucks and is going to miss the play-offs for sure". So, when people start throwing it around like it's evidence that a team is average, or a goalie is average, it really irks me. It shows that the person throwing that out there doesn't get it, and is buying into a misconstrued image of reality.
Or that they do not count beans like some people do.

I totally agree with this and your last post. Thanks for that. As a non numbers guy, it didn't even occur to me that the average was so scewed.

Last edited by Dorian2: 07-06-2012 at 12:46 AM.
Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote