View Single Post
Old
07-06-2012, 12:55 AM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
really? Dubnyk hasnt even solidified himself as a starter.. comparing him to Ward and Neimi who signed their contracts after winning the stanley cup is absurd.
No matter how you twist things.. Dubnyk will be overpaid by atleast a million\yr
No attempt to cherry pick stats here. I went strictly by save percentage from last season and selected 4 goaltenders in Dubnyk's range. Cam Ward is a better goaltender than Dubnyk at this stage (he's in his prime at 28 and he's not a great deal better than Dubnyk really, but he gets the nod for the time being); he's also a couple of years older (and making 2.5 M more a season). Imo Dubnyk is a better goaltender than Niemi, who played well enough to win the cup behind a great Blackhawks team, although I never thought that Niemi played particularly outstanding in any of the playoff series that he played, and he let in some soft goals during the run that his team compensated for. Craig Anderson is a decent goalie, but I think Dubnyk is on a higher trajectory and Nabokov, at 37, is at the end of his career. No comparison is perfect, but I just noted that Dubnyk's pay is not completely out of line for where he's at. I wouldn't trade Dubnyk straight up for Niemi, Anderson, or Nabokov, personally, and probably not even Ward, considering the money he's making. Certainly, Dubnyk still has some things to prove, but he's shown himself capable of taking the reins the past couple of seasons.

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote