View Single Post
Old
07-06-2012, 04:42 AM
Ola

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by egelband View Post
i like the idea of signing semin for many reasons. one, it costs only money. he's exactly what the rangers need, in theory. he may not have the best attitude, but if any team can improve an attitude, it's the rangers. but i really like it, cuz it ices the blue jackets gm. get doan and semin. good job.
egelband, I don't agree with the bolded part and it would be interesting to hear your reasoning behind it. It think its almost the opposite.

Why would we need a sniper? Isn't our problem that we fail to get any offense going when our forecheck don't work? As opposed to not being able to put the puck in the net (an area a sniper of course helps in).

And besides that, our PP is of course a big black hole. Our best sniper is a RH in Ryan Callahan, and we also got a RH playmaker in Derek Stepan. Semin could of course potentially be used in some capacity there, but our big hole is of course that we don't have anyone who BR can set up with on the right side of the ice. In Tampa he had LeCav down low and in Dallas he had Riberio. You need two playmakers, more or less, that can work of each other on the PP. If you set up on the right side which we do with BR on the ice -- the playmaker down low gotta be LHed.

In terms of style and position on a team, Semin is very much like Gabby. They will skate up and down there wing and finnish any rush they can with a wrister. They won't beat D's one on one. They will not go deep and fetch the puck and take it up ice. Neither is a factor down low on the circle. Neither contributes with much creativity or playmaking ability.

I personally feel that someone like Pat Kane would be perfect in terms of style. Having a player like MSL on the ice with Torts system greatly helped Torts in Tampa. A player who kind of could do it all offensively by himself. That breaks the pattern and we are very predictable.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote