View Single Post
Old
07-06-2012, 01:53 PM
Fly Like a C5

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I did think of another good example for reasons to not rush a guy to the AHL: Tomas Tatar. He was drafted by Detroit and immediately sent to the AHL. With 3 full seasons in the AHL he's only played 9 NHL games, and he's not exactly tearing up the AHL offensively.
I don't know that Tatar is a great example. He was tied for the scoring lead (1st in goal scoring) in Grand Rapids this past season. He may have only 9 NHL games under his belt, but Detroit doesn't rush their prospects.

In general I think its better for the more offensively oriented prospects to stay in the CHL and focus on further developing their skills against players their own age. Defensemen and goalies would probably benefit more from an early jump to the AHL. Get them use to bigger/stronger/faster/ players. Players like Campbell and Oleksiak will benefit from being able to jump into the AHL early. There are also some players who do well going straight into the AHL from the draft. Voynov has developed very well for LA despite playing in the AHL as a teenager.

Fly Like a C5 is offline   Reply With Quote