Thread: Confirmed with Link: Lars Eller re-signed for 2 years, $1.325M per
View Single Post
Old
07-06-2012, 07:21 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
He was drafted 5 years ago.. that's not a late bloomer.
Well, it kind of is. I'd have to double check, but it seems to me that a LOT of high draft pick forwards (centres in particular) who eventually fulfill their top 6 (or above) scouting reports, started jumping ahead in the depth chart (especially on weaker teams) by/at/around their early 20s.

Think about guys slightly older than Eller who were projected to turn into top forwards, and how many are already semi-permanent major contributors to their team's top 6. How long have Crosby, Kopitar, Neal, Stastny, Malkin, Zajac, Wolski, Krejci, Staal, Toews, Backstrom, Kessel, and Giroux (all "high" draft picks and currently in their respective top 6s) already spent at/near the top of their depth charts? Heck, I think the oldest of those guys might be 24 or 25, but I think you'd agree that they could probably already be considered within a couple years of their "absolute prime".

So yeah, to still be proving yourself at 22, without having spent time in the NCAA as an "excuse", could be considered "late blooming" - assuming he eventually proves himself to be a "legit" top 6 guy, factoring more heavily into the outcomes of his team's games, in the first place. As such, I certainly consider DD to be a late bloomer, for example (assuming he continues to earn his top 6 role).

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote