View Single Post
Old
07-06-2012, 08:08 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOverallLine View Post
Lol, Whitney was like your entire offense. Vrbata will suffer from the loss of Whitney and the Coyotes don't really have much of a top line after that. Add to the fact that Doan might not be coming back. Also, how many times have we seen a mediocre goaltender have one good season and then go back to mediocrity again after that? I'm not sold on Smith...
Vrbata had a career year with Whitney, but he did put up 56 points for the Yotes long before we had the Wizard. He is streaky, but Vrby knows how to remain productive within the confines of our system.

Sullivan won't match Whitney's even strength production, but he's arguably better on the PP. As long as he maintains his production from last year, I think we'll be okay. Plus we'll have a full year of Vermette (who's certainly capable of 50+ points) and Boedker looks poised to break out. And that's before considering the fact that we have two guys who can really light it up from the blueline (OEL + Yandle).

Although we do need Top 6 forwards, 70+ point guys are a luxury, not a necessity for the Coyotes. As long as the defense and goaltending hold their ends, all we need is timely scoring. And we've been successful at that for some time.

Can Smith repeat his career year? Maybe, maybe not. I don't expect him to post another three consecutive shutout streak en route into a division title, but Smith certainly has the athleticism and, more importantly, the intensity to be a Top 5 netminder. With Z. back, our defense is better than ever, and Smith shouldn't have to bail us out as often as he did when our defense had their brainfart moments (see the 54 save game against the Jackets).

Yes, after three years of being an "overachieving" playoff team, the Yotes can regress to what conventional wisdom expects them to be. But I doubt Tippett and Maloney will have any part in that, not as long as they're around.

All that said, we need Doan to return. But the odds are looking better on that front.

Last edited by IPreferPi: 07-06-2012 at 08:14 PM.
IPreferPi is offline   Reply With Quote