Thread: Confirmed with Link: Lars Eller re-signed for 2 years, $1.325M per
View Single Post
Old
07-06-2012, 08:15 PM
Teufelsdreck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
By today's NHL standards it is. Forwards have been getting younger the past 5 years compared to 20 years ago.

It's almost pretty much a lock unless Galynchuk is a complete flop.
I began watching the Habs in the 1940s. There were no 23-man rosters. For many years teams dressed 11 forwards, 5 D men, and 1 goaltender and the games were much slower paced. The Habs used essentially 3 lines and spotted the 2 extra forwards and rotated the 5 Dmen. Of course, the top 4 Dmen played the most minutes. As for young players, they had to wait years in the minors unless they were extraordinarily talented. There were no free agents and the Habs could stockpile their talent. Players in their 30s were very common up to (and even past) the expansion from 6 NHL teams to 12 in 1967. When there were only 6 teams I didn't need a score card because I had memorized the names of every player in the league. I had heard about Jean Béliveau for several years before he finally signed with the Habs. The reason he didn't sign earlier was because he was making more in Québec than what the Habs were offering him.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote