View Single Post
Old
07-07-2012, 02:24 AM
Kitsy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Does anyone else find this post funny? So a signing Wideman and Hudler could make a good team into a contender but isn't able to make a decent team into a good team? Now I know your next question is "is that all you want to be is a good team" I believe every team should ice the best possible lineup. Now you will say we will be stuck in this spot for years, who knows maybe Getzlaf wants to come back home and Edmonton won't overpay for a UFA since they need to re-sign their young guns, and the Canucks wouldn't have a spot for him so much like Minnesota did with Parise we could offer the most $ and have a real shot at him.
Hudler and Wideman are complementary players in top six and top four roles. My point on them is that to spend money and term like that only make sense if you have the cap space and feel they will fill roster spots to make you a contending team.

I don't know what to say about how you find the post funny than make some odd speculation about Getzlaf perhaps wanting to come back to Calgary.

Iginla and Kipper are declining assets because they are getting older. If you want to continually ice the best team available and not trade these guys the flames will suffer for it. Five years from now you'll be missing an elite goaltender and elite right winger and hope that shrewd drafting in the 12-16 spot will continually producing quality players. Barteschi was a steal (it looks like) but anyone can see that the Flames are in a form of purgatory in the Northwest divison with the Wild, Canucks, and Oilers looking the way they are.

I disagree with the idea of constantly trying to compete with an average aging roster rather than playing the youth and being patient. I think the Blackhawks, Kings, Bruins, Pens would all agree when their rebuilds lead to recent cup victories.

Kitsy is offline   Reply With Quote