View Single Post
Old
07-07-2012, 01:04 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I think the reason why Philly was a destination for FA's in the past was because of Snider's commitment to pay and to win. The Salary Cap era has curbed that ability to spend but the commitment to win is their. Other than that their is no advantage of playing in philly unless you like the limelight of a non traditional hockey market and the constant scrutiny of playing under the watchful eye of the philly media.

I would say after some of the treatment of some of the more popular players in Philly lately has given us a less than desirable reputation amongst players in the NHL. Also something we have seen in Minny where 2 players took less money to play with a team has not happened in Philly. We have never attracted FA's that have come here to play for less money. WE have signed players who were already with the team that took favorable cap hits such as richards and carter but that is it.
To be fair, that's Parise's hometown, and a few hours from Suter's. Kind of similar to Bobby Ryan publicly saying he'd welcome a trade to the Flyers. It's also not like they took a lot less money. Cliff Lee took less money from the Phils, but it was still over $100 million.

Money is usually most important, but when you get to a certain point other things start to matter. If you're offered $100 million to play somewhere, and you're hometown team is giving you $98 million I'm sure that extra $2 million doesn't mean as much.

If the Wild were offering them 5 years $30 million, they're not taking it.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote