Thread: Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign Darcy Hordichuk (1year/$850k)
View Single Post
Old
07-07-2012, 01:11 PM
Tedi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
The reason I'm against Moroz is a I see him as another meh talent. I need to see more of him I guess but to this point thats my honest impression. Spending a couple days at the camp last week and including the scrimmages doesn't change my perspective. Several players wowed me, Moroz didn't. On the ice the guy looked like 25 players on the ice were more skilled than he was. The learning curve is going to be severe for this kid and I fear he doesn't have the hands and read speed for the NHL game.
He might be fast on his skates but he doesn't think fast enough. He was a fish out of water which is fair enough at his age but he needs to get a whole lot better. You'd never know he was an early second round pick from watching him. I never thought he was before the pick. This is a middling talent in JR hockey which is a large part of the problem. Its a crapshoot with very poor probability of pay out.
I'm not going to say it was the BPA for the Oil in that position but I think we all agree that effective power forwards are not a dime a dozen. I was at dev. camp too and you are right he doesn't stand out from the crowd, he does have good skating ability. And I will give the scouting staff some leeway here though as they watch these guys way more than you or I. I am in full agreement that the Oilers don't need another goon, hopefully he turns out to be more. Hordi is needed at least through this season, I personally would like the Oilers to start displaying some team toughness and stop rolling out the mid/heavyweights for their obligatory bouts...it deters nothing.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote