View Single Post
Old
07-07-2012, 02:28 PM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primetimey View Post
The reason why I don't see it being comparable is that Dallas completely blew up their team while the Jets merely added. Riberio, Ott, Souray, Burish, etc. are all gone. We went out and acquired a top fifteen point player in the league last season and added someone who brings a lot of attention to the organization.

While the Jets went and added a strong second line center in Jokinen (I don't see him playing more than Little) the other two Poni/Montoya are just your average joe players.

To me the Jets don't need stop-gap veterans. You already have Kane, Burmistrov, Bogosian, Postma ready to go. While our 20 and 21 year old's in Glennie, Fraser, Oleksiak, Nemeth aren't quite there.

I just see it as a different situation.
I don't want to highjack the thread and turn it into a Winnipeg thing so last post from me I promise. My OP was that we were similar in our FA signings as far as transitional solutions to keep the team competitive. I stand by that so we might have to agree to disagree. Little is best suited to a number 2 centre or even right wing and he was kind of forced into the #1 roll. Jokinen will certainly be an upgrade and is capable of putting up over 60 points as we saw last year. We had no 3rd line and with Poni now we do. As for prospects being ready Kane and Bogo are very ready but Burmi was forced into the top 6 last year and wasn't ready for it yet. A great spot for him (depending on his progress) this year would be centring an all USSR 3rd line of Poni Burmi and Antro. That line combo might put up 110 to 120 points and that would be huge for our team. Also Scheifele could be a very solid top 6 talent but he is still physically immature and I believe he will need 1 more in year in juniors and maybe even a year in the AHL (the Adam Henrique route). Also Telegin showed last year he might project to be a top 6 type talent in the NHL but my guess is that TNSE will want him to play at least part of this year in the AHL. Our challenge is Atlanta had no problem putting 18 year olds into the line up and TNSE have stated they are going to take their time which is perfect but it creates a 2 to 3 year void of top 6 forward type talent or top 4 D type talent to graduate from our draft and develop plan. Poni and Jokinen buy us 1 and 2 years respectively and are both key pieces addressing big holes in our line up that prospects might fill in 2 seasons. I still think Whitney and Jags are brought in for a similar reason (fill out Dallas's top 6 "for now"), I do understand the pedigree difference between that group and Poni but Jokinen's numbers were competitive with them last year.

anyways I started cheering for Dallas in the west last year when Tom picked up the team. I have had business dealings with him and he is a strait shooter from my experience and I believe he got screwed in Vancouver (even though the court didn't see it that way). I know he is thrilled to own the Stars and he is really competitive. My hopes are that the moves work out for the Stars this year!

Last edited by ps241: 07-07-2012 at 08:05 PM.
ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote