Thread: Proposal: Ales Hemsky for Kyle Okposo
View Single Post
Old
07-07-2012, 05:56 PM
McArthur

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
to be fair, i don't think it's Edmonton trying to "pawn off" Hemsky... it's a small group of uneducated/uninformed fans who keep trying to convince themselves that he isn't as good or doesn't have a spot on the team anymore... there are plenty of Oiler fans who in general seem to think he [Hemsky] has fallen out of favour with management and the rest of the hometown fans at large.

Truth is, I'm in the camp that Hemsky will be a valuable piece with the Oilers going forward. He's a veteran with elite skill, plays hard and isn't remotely soft. His value is low right now, compounded by the contract, no denying it, but I will almost guarantee the guy is in for a major bounce back season, all the stars are aligning for him in 2012/13. I mean this is a player who at one point, respected hockey writers and commentators were saying could be the next league superstar, with 90-100 point upside. Injuries simply derailed his career and he literally had garbage and boat anchor to play with up until about 2-3 years ago.

Now the Oilers (with Hemsky included...) have depth for once. The pressure is off Hemsky. The veteran leadership he brings will be intangible, the Oilers have enough young bodies and need to surround them with offensively capable veteran players and scorers. I think he will prove his worth this season.

I like Okposo but would rather the Oilers keep Hemsky moving forward, I think he has more value to their organization than with any other. Plus, the guy loves Edmonton and is loyal. That has to count for something. He won't get moved unless it's for a bonafide top 4 defenseman, whether people like it or not, end of story.
The boy has had a bad string of luck.

McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote