View Single Post
Old
07-07-2012, 06:37 PM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I remember one playoff series against the Panthers when Beuk knocked 3 of the Florida players right out of the playoffs. Johan Garpenlov was one, Bill Lindsay another--I'm not sure about the third--maybe it was Gelinas. Him and Lindsay collided head on--Lindsay saw it coming and braced himself but the force of the hit broke his leg anyway.

A lot of what Beuk did in those days though he wouldn't be able to get away with now but that could be said for a lot of guys. High hits--no big deal. Crosschecking the **** out of anyone who came near your crease. A lot more hooking, holding, slashing, kneeing and everything else. Stevens or Daneyko would have had to curb their games as well. Messier. Lindros. There would be tons of suspensions today.

Beukeboom did provide a comfort level for Leetch to excel in. But the Rangers had other tough guys as well and anybody taking liberties with #2 was going to pay a price. Graves was a guided missile whenever someone did dirt to one of his teammates. Gord Donnelly was taking runs at Leetch one game and Messier did the old Mike Richards-David Booth---Matt Cooke on Marc Savard to Mike Modano who was laid out cold on the ice and fell off the stretcher on the way to the ambulance. That pretty much ended the crap in that game. Having guys like Kocur and Domi didn't hurt either.
I wish I could find the youtube of Messier knocking out one of the Sutter brothers chicklets right after a face-off. Lol You can see Sutter jawing at him and then you saw teeth flying across the ice. It wasn't a great idea to mess with Messier. It was like watching a surgeon. hahahahhaa

Miamipuck is offline   Reply With Quote