Thread: Confirmed with Link: Habs select Dalton Thrower - 51st overall
View Single Post
Old
07-07-2012, 08:17 PM
NotProkofievian

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by projexns View Post
I'm not trying to compare them based on draft position but rather what type of d-men they project to become. Bieksa and Wiz have become 0.5 ppg defencemen in the NHL whereas Jackman has become a nice heart and soul type with a 20-25 point ceiling offensively.

There's nothing wrong with that, especially from a 2nd-round pick where there's only a 25-30% hit-rate at becoming a regular NHLer.

The high-end possibilities are there but they don't often materialize. In Chicago we have Hjalmarsson who Scotty Bowman mysteriously compared to Nik Lidstrom.......a nice d-man to have but well short of whatever his offensive potential was thought to be for a time.
Yeah but, first you were speaking about "offensive upside," and now you're talking about percentage of people who achieve their upside. Those are two different things.

He may, or may not have that upside, regardless of his draft ranking. For example, you could say that Collberg doesn't have first line upside, because he wasn't drafted in the 1st round. Having seen Collberg live, and at the U18's and U20's, I can assure you, he has 1st line upside. I haven't seen thrower live yet, however, so I can't say whether I think he has Wiz's offensive upside or not, yet. But it was the reasoning of your first post that didn't really sit well with me.