View Single Post
Old
07-07-2012, 09:27 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
So I guess Jimmy Hayes should be our #1 prospect, followed by Dylan Olsen at #2 and Ben Smith at #3. They're the only three that've shown anything at the NHL level that are available to be picked and are all knocking on the door of becoming full-time NHLers.

You don't base which prospect is the "best" on how close they are to the NHL. You base it on which prospect has the potential to be the best/most impactful NHLer once they get there.. whether they're playing in the NHL next year or in 4 years.
Everyone has their own opinion on what makes one prospect rank better than another. It's quite all right if opinions on this differ.

I personally stay pretty close to how HF does it itself - a combination of the top end of a prospect, as you mentioned, combined with an opinion on how likely that person is to reach it. I never thought much of prospects like Makarov, for instance, even though he had talent, simply because I found it exceedingly unlikely he'd ever reach it in the NHL.

I had to draw a line somewhere when it came to "NHL ready". After all, can I say 100% correctly to include Dylan Olsen, who played 28 games, but not Andrew Shaw, who played 37? Arguments can be made either way but I went with the opinion that Shaw has graduated from prospect status, but Olsen has not yet done so. But I could very well be wrong on both of them.

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote