View Single Post
Old
07-08-2012, 12:06 AM
Damaged Goods

vCash: 500
The point of this thread is moot now, since the extension isn't allowed. It should probably be closed, but I'm only bumping it by about 10 minutes to post this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
All I know is Holmgren was happy enough to extend Carter for 11 years and less than a year later he dumps him after telling him he wouldn't. It doesn't look good on Holmgren or the organization.

I agree Gagne's future with the team was debatable at that point, but the way that was handled could give pause to some players and agents in particular. Gagne was a career Flyer and he was shoved out the door was a salary dump to fit in the likes of Shelley and Zherdev.
The acquisition of Andrej Meszaros had a much bigger impact on forcing out Gagne. Shelley only makes about a half a million above the minimum. His impact on cap structure is almost nil. Zherdev was signed for that year to replace Gagne.

Anyhow, after Gagne was traded, Jeff Carter signed an extension. After Carter and Richards were traded, JVR, Coburn and Grossmann signed extensions. There is no evidence of deleterious effects as of yet. So far players have still been perfectly willing to sign extensions for the right dollar.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote