View Single Post
Old
07-08-2012, 01:32 AM
SEALBound

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle3434 View Post
I do not understand a lot of people's comments on our defense. We complain about not giving young forwards a chance, yet, we do not want to give young defensemen a chance. I'm not targeting you, this was just the most recent example that I saw. People don't want rookie defensemen in the playoffs, but each year we find stop gaps, we are pushing back players like Despres from their rookie year.

I thought Voynov looked good for the Kings in the playoffs. There is an example of a rookie defenseman that isn't a top pick. I'd rather the growing pains happen during the regular season.
Never said anything back about rookies. But I urge you to consider this...

Games played:

Martin: 73
Niskanen: 75
Engelland: 73
Orpik: 73
Michalek: 62
Letang: 51

Injuries happen. When you have multiple injuries it forces the hand to go to the rookies. One, even two rookies isn't terrible...but more than that...defense is in trouble. Think about the lineup if Letang goes down:

Niskanen-Orpik
Martin-Engelland
Strait-Bortuzzo/Despres

After that...Sneep?

This defense is 1-2 injuries away from being the weakest defense in the league. With Michalek gone, a cheap veteran stop gap depth guy isn't a terrible idea. It gives you options. Say Eaton is a little slow...playing against a fast team? Sit him, put Despres in. Strait not playing well? Sit him for another. Martin not feeling well? Sit him and play another. Top 4 goes down you have a veteran presence that can step in to those shoes. It allows your 5-7 guys to earn that #4 spot even though Niskanen is pretty much a lock for it to begin with. One guy goes down in the top 4...then you have a battle for it and its not deciding between 3 rookies.

Now is Eaton the best option? Of course not. But he's a UFA that hasn't been signed yet. Could come cheap...and thus be valuable. He knows our system and he knows our team. It's a viable option.