View Single Post
Old
07-08-2012, 04:28 AM
Riptide

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
Never said anything back about rookies. But I urge you to consider this...

Games played:

Martin: 73
Niskanen: 75
Engelland: 73
Orpik: 73
Michalek: 62
Letang: 51

Injuries happen. When you have multiple injuries it forces the hand to go to the rookies. One, even two rookies isn't terrible...but more than that...defense is in trouble.
We have several NHL ready players in Strait, Bort, Despres and from everything we've heard Dumoulin. Shero says Morrow is close (and he looked damn good last year in the preseason).

It's the regular season... if we have injuries it's the perfect time to play these guys. There's no harm in playing them 15mins a night during the regular season. I would pick up another D for the playoffs. But with our forward talent and goaltending tandom, as long as we get mostly adequate defense, we will make the playoffs. Sure I'd rather win the conference, however it's not the end of the world if we finish in the middle of the pack. But we have to start playing the kids. If only to see what we actually have... if we don't, then what's the point of having them?

If Letang goes down we can suck it up with this for a short time (our PP's gonna suffer):

Martin - Orpik
Niskanen - Despres
Strait/Bort - Engelland
Strait/Bort

If there's another injury or two, then call up Dumoulin. And a 3rd... call up Morrow. But then how often did we have 3 rookies/WBS players in the game last year? We had a ton of injuries to our blueline and I remember having 2 callups on many occasions. But rarely 3. But if something like that comes up, play the 3 kids. Give them a taste and see what they can do. Besides, it's not like they haven't played at all. Strait, Despres and Bort all got a few games in last year, so it's not like they're completely new to this. I'm not saying their vets, but they're not complete unknowns either.

All I'm saying is give them a shot before running out and picking up another D. Worse case, we overpay a bit and make a trade if the rookies aren't working out. But we have 82 games... well 60 something to the TD. Let them fail vs not letting them try at all.