Old
07-08-2012, 11:28 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
Other players stepped up to try to cover Leighton. Leighton didn't cover for anybody.

Seriously, how do you look at that team and its stats and not immediately identify the goaltender who was pulled twice and put up a horrific .86% as the biggest issue? When your goalie does that it doesn't matter what anybody else does, because they have no chance to win.

Nobody absolves the 3rd pairing or first line of all blame, but at the end of the day they weren't nearly as big a problem as Leighton laying a rhino-sized turd in the crease.
It's clear, as it has been since 2010, that we just don't see eye to eye on this. It is a team effort to win and a team effort to lose. When you get abysmal scoring from your primary scorers, that is a problem. Secondary scoring stepping up is great, but teams aren't going to win many series, let alone championship series, if their primary scoring doesn't show up. And as well as the defense played, they were far from perfect. You have a competent third pairing that can play, I don't know, even 8 minutes per game to take some heat off of Pronger/Timonen etc, and the level of defensive play goes up as well. You can look at any of those problems and say if they were different the outcome would have been different. Leighton plays better and the third pair/top scorers don't and they win. Top scorers play better and Leighton/third pair don't and they win. And so forth and so on.

If that wasn't the case, I would agree with you. But if you have multiple things that you could change individually and have a different outcome, I don't understand how you can tell me one is a larger cause than the other. It isn't like I am saying that Jody Shelley should have scored more goals. I am talking about your three best offensive players having a better line than 6 points and -21. If it isn't too much to ask for the goalie to put up reasonable stats, it shouldn't be too much to ask for your three best players to do so.

I think you also have to keep in mind, that I am in no way saying Leighton played well or that he is blameless. He sucked. But he wasn't the only one sucking. Team game. Team loss. You can blame whomever you want, but in the end there was more than one person on the ice in that series that didn't hold up their end of the bargain.