View Single Post
Old
07-08-2012, 03:08 PM
Dudicles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Husky View Post
There is no way the Wild should use the North Stars jerseys, they are different franchises. Yes I understand being nostalgic about them but that fact remains, the Wild and the North Stars are different franchises and the North Stars still exist in Dallas. No member of the North Stars has a connection to the Wild save the fact they are both Minnesota's team. McRae, Broten, Modano didn't play for this franchise, they played for Dallas. While the North Stars are a part of Minnesota hockey history, they are not part of the Wild's history and I'm glad they have distanced themselves from it. They should be trying to make their own stamp on this state and not trying to cling to the past. Some have brought up the Twins using the Millers jerseys and wonder why the Wild doesn't do the same with the North Stars. For me that question is simple, the Milers don't exist anymore, the Stars do. The Wolves don't wear old Minneapolis Lakers jerseys, but I've seen the L.A. Lakers wear them and they should, they are a part of that organization. It's a different "franchise" per se but the same organization. The same goes for the North Stars/Dallas Stars, same organization but two different "franchises" which is likely why Dallas does the "founded in 1993" thing because it is true. The Dallas Stars franchise was founded in 1993, they are just a part of a larger organization that started with the North Stars. I understand getting upset at the "founded in 1993" thing but it is well within their rights to do that.
I for one think Winnipeg screwed up in going back to the Jets name because the "history" didn't come with it. The Jets leader in career points is not Dale Hawerchuk it's Ilya Kovalchuk. Bobby Hull's number is not retired for them, it's hanging in Phoenix and that's why Evander Kane can wear it. It's why they couldn't go back to the old Jets jerseys, they don't own them, Phoenix does.
Like I said, I'm all for celebrating the North Stars contribution to Minnesota hockey but when it comes to the Wild, the North Stars are dead.
I fully agree with you. I don't know the history of the Jets name, though. Winnipeg may well have had rights to the name, much like Hartford could still name a new team the Whalers.

I think the Wild have done things right with honoring the North Stars' legacy, but not including it in theirs.

Dudicles is offline   Reply With Quote