View Single Post
Old
07-08-2012, 02:23 PM
Edge

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I could not disagree more. I cant get on board with trading Staal ++ and giving a guy a 14 year/$115M contract just because he can make the powerplay better. Its brutal asset management.

Besides, the powerplay wasnt a huge problem in the playoffs (especially as it wore on).

Boston won a cup 2 seasons ago with no powerplay to speak of, same with Los Angeles this season. They won with some serious depth up front and rock solid defense/goaltending. This Rangers team is missing the depth up front. I fail to see how handing Weber a ridiculous deal helps that now or down the road.
Mike Green makes the powerplay better.

Shea Weber transforms and entire defense.

The two teams you just pointed to in your argument have elite defenseman in Chara and Doughty respectively. And neither of those guys has been a finalist for the leagues top defenseman three years running. Weber has.
We need to et out of the mindset that the only thing Weber is good at is scoring. This guy is probably the most complete defenseman in the game today. If people don't like a guys salary or the cost, that's one thing. But I can't stand how we have to grossly undervalue a player to convince ourselves that they aren't worth getting.