View Single Post
Old
07-08-2012, 02:33 PM
Blueshirt Believer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
On the defensive side of the puck, the impact he would have over Staal (who most are trading for Weber) would be minimal, in my opinion. A healthy Staal is one of the top shutdown guys in the league as it stands. Im not underselling Weber's defensive prowess, or his prowess as a player in general, but the powerplay is where he would make a larger mark.

That said, his impending contract, which will likely be 12+ years with a cap hit of $8-8.5M per year is the dealbreaker for me. I dont think Im undervaluing Weber at all when he'll come with that wild cost.
What your saying is a fine counter point and has to be taken into consideration. But keep this in mind:

The thing about Staal is that he is going to command at least 6+ when he comes back to the signing table. Weber will be locked up for the long term(probably a career spanning contract).

Is 6.5-7 million for Staal(and he WILL get that on the open market, make no mistake)as a deal as Weber for 8-8.5(considering the offensive punch he provides)?