View Single Post
Old
07-08-2012, 04:58 PM
Barnaby

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
The cap situation might be helped if another roster playe goes with Staal. Even without, the cap difference over the next three years amounts to approx. $4m, $3.5m, $2.25 million. Give or take several hundred thousand. Over that time we will also lose Gaborik's contract and possibly a few more if young guys push vets.

Make no mistake, the salary is a challenge. But Weber's age is thing that puts it over the top for me. If he were three of four years older, I'd probably be a bit more hesitant.
Very good points regarding the contract situation. When you consider Staals next contract at 6 per - I'd certainly rather be paying Weber the 7.5-8 per. Plus he's locked in for the duration of his prime where Staals may want to test the market and/or possibly want to go to Carolina.

I guess it boils down to what the packages become for Weber vs Nash and who Sather feels gives this team a better chance to win. If Staal, Erixon, Dubinsky, first, get it done for Weber then I think you have to do it. Dubinsky and Staals cap hit would off-set Weber anyway at this point.