View Single Post
Old
07-08-2012, 07:50 PM
Prussian_Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilishleafs View Post
What about ... Bozak and Mac for Stewart
If "Mac" is Andrew MacWilliam, I would consider this. In the short term, TO gets the better player... but the Blues get a guy who drops nicely into their third-line center spot, and does so at about $2MM less than what the departing Stewart is making. The Blues could then use all or part of that that $2MM to sweeten a contract offer for a UFA defenseman, or put it into the pool for T.J. Oshie's new contract.

MacWilliam still has another year to go at North Dakota, and if he could develop some chemistry with/serve as a mentor to Blues' first-round pick Jordan Schmaltz, who will be a freshman at North Dakota next year, this deal looks better for the Blues in the long term.

I wouldn't mind picking up Rynnas in a minor deal, either. I'd really rather have Jussi Rynnas backing up Jake Allen in Peoria than Mike McKenna, St. Louis boy or not. Rynnas still has some upside, whereas McKenna's ship has pretty much sailed.

IMO, McKenna's main value to the Blues is, apart from the PR value of being a hometown boy, the fact that McKenna has some NHL experience where Allen has virtually none. That makes McKenna, again IMO, the more likely first callup in the event that either Halak or Elliott get hurt, God forbid.

Last edited by Prussian_Blue: 07-08-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote