Thread: Proposal: Vanek for Duchene
View Single Post
Old
07-08-2012, 09:13 PM
Lil Jim 1031

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
We should go after someone more available like Crosby.

Comparing the availability of Duchene to Crosby is laughable. Did Crosby ever average 0.48 ppg over the course of a season? Far cry. I understand Duchene had some injuries last year and he's still extremely young, but his play did regress nonetheless. He was in Sacco's doghouse most of the time when he did play, and only managed a measly 28 pts in 58 games.

With that said, he does have franchise potential. But it still is "potential." He is not there just yet and he still carries with him some risk. As I said in my opening post, I would be all for a swap based around Duchene and Vanek, but I don't think the proposal is outlandish. Colorado has a huge need for a goal scoring winger, and their strength is down the middle with Statsny, O'Reilly, Duchene, and possibly Hishon, in the future if healthy.

Also, I think some of us may be selling Vanek a bit short here.

He is a legit top-line scoring winger in the prime of his career at 28. He has hit 40 goals twice and has never scored less than 25 in any season. Since the 2006-2007 season, there are only 5 players in the NHL with more goals than Vanek: Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Iginla, Heatley, and Malkin. That is impressive company.

His peripherals are comparable to R. Nash, and he's on a slightly better contract. He has developed a strong two-way game and has not been given big-time minutes by Ruff like most superstars on other teams are. In fact, he ranked 143rd last year for forwards in ice-time per game at 16:56. Put him on a line next to Statsny in Colorado, geting 18-20 minutes per game, and pencil him in for 35+ goals per year.

Lil Jim 1031 is offline   Reply With Quote