View Single Post
Old
07-09-2012, 07:31 AM
Captain Lou

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Captain Lou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
If you trade Tallinder or Volch you hurt your chances of signing UFAs down the road. Players and agents pay attention to things like that. I can't say that enough times around here.

Harrold will be in the AHL but could be trade fodder. Urbom has not shown the required hockey IQ or use of his size the times I have seem him - but he is trade fodder, as is Gelinas.

We don't have the assets on defense that HF thinks we do. For the first time in probably damn near a decade we have depth, stability, and a modicum of talent back there. I do not see a viable trade option from our side at all, and have yet to see any counter opinion that makes me even begin to change my thoughts on this.
If Lou never signs a high profile UFA again (off another team) I will be thrilled, so I don't care about the first part. Also, circumstances change during the course of a 4 (and especially a 6!) year contract, so trading a guy in year 3 is not that big a deal. Under that logic, though, trading Andy Greene is OK because he was our own player?

However, I agree that no trade will be made until/unless one thing happens:

1. Fayne returns fully healed (so probably never )
2. A defenseman not currently on the roster forces a trade by making his way into the lineup.

When Fayne comes back, assuming no other injuries, we will be employing 7 NHL-caliber defensemen, and all deserve to play each night. That is when a trade will be made.

Captain Lou is offline   Reply With Quote