Thread: Proposal: Give Gomez one last chance?
View Single Post
Old
07-09-2012, 12:42 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I've heard a few Flames fans suggest otherwise, although at least his production was much better before coming here, so that ought to lessen the prodigiousness of it.

Are we writing him off? No, I think we're saying, alas, we're kinda stuck with him and kinda stuck with hoping he bounces back, because, alas, we didn't get somebody better/less risky to replace him with. While indeed acknowledging there is a chance he bounces back. There is no "writing off" involved there.

Is it? Or is it just a generalized assumption that that's what Habs fans are saying and a blanket denigration of Habs fans. Most Habs fans have their own targets, and those differ from fan to fan, and in degree, I don't think I have yet read a post from anybody saying "everything that was bad last year has to be written off, thrown out, bought out, sent to the AHL, etc." Link?
Okay so I used your post as a jumping-off point to make some generalizations, so what

Long story short, like I said before, I think Bourque and Kaberle are in another stratosphere from Gomez and shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence.

Quote:
Well, it appears as if none of them are going. And I'd rather have Gomez than $7.357M of unused cap space, so count me amongst those who is on board with keeping all of them, including Gomez, at this point. It's a little sad we got to this point, but not actually all that surprising, nor grounds for any indictment of management. Montreal has to be a very hard sell to players atm.
I hear you regarding the Gomez vs. useless cap space thing, but I'm not sure I agree. We may not be able to rush out and spend Gomez's money on a Gaborik the way the Rangers did, but to me sending him to the AHL would at least stress accountability. The Rangers probably didn't have to send Redden to the AHL, but they did, and it at least sent notice to anyone currently on the roster and any big name free agents to come in the future that if you don't earn your keep, you're going to be dealt with whether you're making big money or the league minimum. Maybe the Rangers, being a prime free agent destination from now until the end of times, have that luxury whereas we have to be a bit more delicate...it's arguable. But right now we look like a franchise that doesn't care about accountability or standards. We'll let a guy like Gomez bleed us for $7.4m because, hey, we got nothing better to do with the money. I'd rather take the dead cap space by ditching Gomez and promote a guy like Leblanc or Dumont who I know is going to work his ass off to stay here. But of course, it's not my money either.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote