Thread: Prospect Info: Habs Board 2012 Prospect Rankings #14
View Single Post
Old
07-09-2012, 03:39 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I think these polls are a bit unfair to the guys who have played in the NHL, actually. A guy like Palushaj looks bad because everyone's seen him play (and do nothing) in the NHL, yet he was a PPG player in the AHL. If he had never seen NHL ice this year I bet he'd rank higher in this poll, because fewer people would have had a chance to see him "fail". He'd just be "Aaron Palushaj, the guy who scored a PPG in the minors". Not "Aaron Palushaj, the guy who did nothing on our 4th line".
Thats true. Prospects that have never seen the NHL are often judged on their max potential (aka Collberg* the 30-40g scorer) while prospects that have seen the NHL (like Palushaj) are judged on what people have seen. When Collberg makes the NHL he may very well not score for his first 30 games with limited ice time and poor quality linemates and people are going to move him down the prospect chart. The same thing happened to Pacioretty after he had a rough start in the NHL.

*I really like Collberg as a prospect but being a recently drafted super-hyped 2nd rounder he's the perfect example.