View Single Post
Old
07-09-2012, 02:58 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sens11 View Post
1. Yet they keep acquiring defensemen to push him out of the top 4 and apparently the top 6 too. Maybe Nikitin was a surprise top 4, not expected, but guess who they kept? Guess who they kept, MM or Tyutin? Using total ice time for one season and per game for the other... nice one. In reality he was 4th for both seasons with per game ice time (omitting Johnson, but still a D who was better than him). 4th in ice time on a terrible team and subsequently replaced for upgrades does not qualify you to play top pair on a playoff team. Which was the question, and it's not answered.

2. Well if the UFA are better, which you are suggesting they could be, how would getting Methot be more beneficial to the team? Even if Methot = the UFA, it's not worth sacrificing Foligno. (who fits the youth). I know I'm repeating myself, but you're not answering the question. It's not worth giving up Foligno.
I didn't read the other thread, so forgive me if some of this has been mentioned before.

I'm just going to pick a few random games from the CBJ schedule last year and lay out the defensive pairings...

First game 10/7/11 vs Nashville:
Tyutin - Martinek
Methot - Clitsome
Russell - Savard

12/31/11 vs Washington:
Tyutin - Methot
Clitsome - Moore
A Johnson - Savard

2/21/12 vs San Jose:
Tyutin - Nikitin
Lebda - Moore
Clitsome - Savard

2/26/12 vs Pittsburgh:
J Johnson - Wisniewski
Tyutin - Nikitin
Lebda - Moore

4/7/12 vs Islanders:
J Johnson - Wisniewski
Lebda - Nikitin
A Johnson - D Prout

Believe it or not, the defenseman with the most games played (as a CBJ) last season was John Moore (a rookie) with 67 games. Between suspensions and injuries the CBJ defense last year was horrible (backed-up by a great goalie, Sieve Mason)

When the K. Russell / Nikitin trade went down, many St Louis fans were commenting that one of Nikitin's main problems was his inability to understand things due to his lack of English skills. He arrived in Columbus and he and Tyutin found almost instant chemistry. So, the CBJ don't want to break up that pair. With the addition of Bobrosky (sp?) from Philly, having a Russian mentor type on the team is a good thing - so moving Tyutin isn't going to happen.

J Johnson and Wisniewski, much to many people's surprise worked VERY well together. Maybe they have a very easy time anticipating each other since they would tend to do the same things in the same situations. So, that pair looked pretty solid moving forward. Couple that with the fact that both were newly acquired and expensive, neither of them would get moved.

So, Methot was looking like the odd man out (he makes too much money as a 3rd pairing defenseman).

You can't necessarily compare TOI between players the way some of you are trying to do either. It may not be an issue with the #5 guy, it may be an issue with the #6. If you can't trust #6, the TOI of guy #5 can get cut dramatically as well. With all the injuries to the vets, J Johnson was ridden HARD at the end of the season. He and Wisniewski were playing about 25 minutes a night there at the end.

Slight addition here:

J Johnson GP = 82 LAK/CBJ
John Moore = 67
Fedor Tyutin = 66
Nikita Nikitin = 61 with STL / CBJ
A Johnson = 56
Wisniewski = 48
Methot = 46
Savard = 31
Lebda = 30
Martinek = 7
Prout = 5
Goboulef = 1
Clitsome = 63 with CBJ / Winnipeg

Last edited by cbjgirl: 07-09-2012 at 03:06 PM.
cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote