View Single Post
Old
07-09-2012, 04:39 PM
Broad Street Elite

vCash: 500
Better 2012-2013 - Couturier vs. B. Schenn

Long term, it's definitely harder to project, so let's speculate on who has the better season for 2012-2013.

Case for B. Schenn:
Older, more seasoned player having gone through a more natural progression to the NHL. Has a more physically appropriate build for the NHL right now. Solid 2-way game. Will likely get more offensive opportunities playing on the second line than Couturier in 2012-2013. Looked like one of the best players on the ice in the playoffs.

Case for Couturier:
All-world defensive talent. Developing offensive game. No matter whether he struggles offensively or not, he will continue to log critical minutes due to being the best defensive forward on the team. Played more in 2011-2012.

My thoughts:
For 2012-2013, I predict a huge B. Schenn breakout (20+ goals, 55+ points). I see a more steady improvement from the younger Couturier (perhaps 15-18 goals, 35 points) while continuing to be a defensive presence. I suspect that while he'll be good defensively, the league will have enough tape on Couturier to force him to up his game a bit defensively.

I would not be surprised to see Schenn on the top line by season's end playing beside Giroux and Hartnell.

Long term, I love what Couturier represents for this franchise and it will be a close call between the 2, but for 2012-2013... I expect great improvement for B. Schenn.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote