View Single Post
Old
07-09-2012, 04:58 PM
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
I know a tax lawyer who represents pro athletes (not hockey) and he says these articles don't take into account the fact that NONE of the pro hockey players are forced to declare Quebec as their primary residence. Their overall taxes are still higher if they play for Montreal than if they play for Dallas, but if they LIVE in Dallas off season, the difference is mitigated quite a bit. For tax purposes, all travel days to OR from Quebec can be counted as days outside the province so even with a long season, the total days an athlete has to officially spend in Quebec is relatively low, well under the half-year it takes to qualify as a resident (and get a Medicare card, taxes are a two way street, after all.)

The assumption that athletes are paying Quebec tax on their full salary is simply not the case, except for those few who live in Quebec off-season too. I work in Ontario all the time, but I live in Quebec so I have to pay full Quebec taxes, the tax rate of where I earned the money doesn't really affect me cause I'm not resident there. If the situation were reversed, like it is for hockey players, I wouldn't have to pay full Quebec income tax because I wouldn't live here.
I've been using this argument for years and everyone who hears it just has a dumb look on their face as though I was explaining the Higgs boson to them.

The tax argument is baseless but there are more taxes in general in Montreal (GST, the ridiculously high PST, school and property tax, etc) but I think they're worth it for having the lifestyle that Montreal offers.

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote