View Single Post
Old
07-09-2012, 08:11 PM
geowild
Mostly Harmless

vCash: 500
The thing is, if Butch has a good year (which would make me happy), then are you really going to give him a multi-year deal next summer? That's still very risky. He's got to go at least two years without another concussion before you can do that.

But someone else might, and he'd likely go to July 1 to explore that possibility, and then we lose him for nothing.

I probably wouldn't trade him now unless it felt like a no-brainer, but if he gets off to a good start, as difficult as it might be with people clamoring to not jiggle a team that is winning, I'd be looking to move him anywhere from December to the deadline.

If you trade him now, it's probably like Benny for Lats --exchanging problem childs. Maybe that works out, if the other problem child is a quality d-man who has underperformed for reasons you're willing to take a chance on, and doesn't come with a long-term contract committment.

I've actually been thinking he would be buy-out bait for cap space purposes if necessary, but at least a couple people around here assure us he's healthy and ready to go this year. So, I guess we'll see.

geowild is offline   Reply With Quote