Thread: Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign Jeff Halpern (1 year @ 700K)
View Single Post
Old
07-10-2012, 12:38 AM
nyr5186

vCash: 500
For the record I really like the signing. Good defensive forward. Replaces Fedotenko in a way, but can also take big draws at the end of games to secure leads. Very underrated asset for a team that has struggles in the faceoff department.

It bothers me how Brian Boyle has become the latest whipping boy on this team. Ok. I understand he can have his struggles offensively. He scored 11 goals last year centering the 3rd line. Not enough. Whatever. But he contributes in so many other ways. He controls the puck well. Plays stellar defense. Blocks shots as well as anyone. Makes the right play with the puck most of the time. Good faceoff guy. His offense will even out. He scored 21 goals the year prior. It's reasonable to predict 15-20 goals next season, especially with better linemates. He has a good shot and when he's moving his feet and driving to the net he's hard to stop. With all the intangibles that he brings and the fact that Tortorella trusts him, would 18 goals 14 assists (a reasonable prediction) really be bad for a 3rd line center? Please name me other 3rd line centers that trump those stats. And don't say Jordan Staal.

I'm sorry. The Brian Boyle hate is a little bothersome. Barring a collapse or the emergence of several young kids who force themselves into top roles, Brian Boyle is our 3rd line center like it or not.

And yes, I like the Halpern signing.

nyr5186 is offline   Reply With Quote