View Single Post
Old
07-10-2012, 10:19 AM
Reaper1097

vCash: 500
Initially I was very against the signing of Semin but I have to admit, after reading the proposed trade rumors of what the flyers would have to give up in a trade to acquire bobby ryan or rick nash I am starting to warm to the idea of Semin signing with the flyers. (I cant believe I just wrote that sentence). Anyway, I think he would actually fit nicely with Giroux and Hartnell. In fact, I think he could score 40+ playing with Giroux all season.

Everyone complains about his defense, however, his plus/minus numbers are actually very good and in the end IMO that is a very important stat. I am not usually a stats guy since I think they can mislead about a players true worth, however, one of the stats I do beleive in is +/- because it doesnt get any more basic then if a player is on the ice for more goals than against. Jagr doesnt play a lick of defense and did just fine on the line with Giroux. Semin is +92 over the last 4 seasons which is very good. I know that other players are on some bad teams but when I compared semin to some of the other flyers and top forwards in the league over that span I was actually shocked...

Claude Giroux +27
Danny Briere +22
Mike Richards +34
Pavel Datsyuk +83
Ryan Kesler +44
Alexander Ovechkin +69
Sidney Crosby +53
Evgeni Malkin +25
Henrik Zetterberg +38
Jonathan Toews +76
Marian Gaborik +41
Phil Kessel -15
Daniel Sedin +104
Henrik Sedin +106
Ryan Getzlaf +12
Corey Perry +12
Steven Stamkos -5
Patrice Bergeron +64
Rick Nash -8

This list includes the winners of the Hart, selke, art ross, & rocket richard trophies in each of the last 4 seasons. Only the sedin twins have a better +/- than semin. I would never had guessed that...

Reaper1097 is offline   Reply With Quote