View Single Post
Old
07-10-2012, 11:43 AM
Deficient Mode
Step with me

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Oh, they were pretty boring. Pat Cash, Goran Ivanisevic, even that era Sampras weren't much fun to watch on grass. Were you around to see them? I doubt you would have been all that impressed. Certainly given the botanical sophistication of today, a happy medium should be possible: fast enough to nurture a serve and volleyer, but not so fast as to induce utter tedium.
I didn't follow tennis as closely when it was still fast but I was never bored when I did, and as you might imagine, I had less tolerance as a child for tedium. I've watched some matches from that period recently as well.

No amount of botanical sophistication could compensate for the sophistication of racquets and strings. Serve-and-volleying is all but dead.

Quote:
The Ungainly One is well on his way to having his best season for aces ever and by a wide margin, Philipp's previous high being 388 in 2010 when he ranked 26th overall for the year. That in turn was some 68 aces higher than he had in any previous year. He already has 377 aces for the year and currently ranks 7th on the men's side. My theory is that his competition has collectively decided that his serve is too ugly to look at.
Probably the same reason Almagro has so many aces this year too.