View Single Post
Old
07-10-2012, 04:29 PM
RaiderDoug

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Totally guessing, but I think he meant for ideas in based on today's market. Who is out there now for us to spend even to the midpoint?
I'd like us to bring back AK. I think Semin would be a good risk. I'd like our defense alot better with Coliacovo somewhere in the mix as Josi insurance, rather than playing Blum/Ekholm and hoping for the best.

The pickings are slim.

Can't wait until all the FA's are gone, and then say "well, we wanted to spend money, but there's no one any good left, so well just chill with the smallest payroll". It all goes back to the words vs actions - they say we have money to spend, and were willing to spend it - we just never actually cut the checks.

Even rewind to July 1st. Regardless of what Suter did, there's still room to improve the top 6 forwards. Why did we sit on our hands there? Am I going to be fed the line "oh, but there was no one out there we wanted" or "we called so and so but he was too expensive". This was the exact same talk last year on this date. On 7/10/2013, we'll probably be sitting around here talking about how there's no one left as a UFA, and x player would have been great but he went somewhere else and player y got too much money, etc, etc, etc.

Nonetheless, this is sort of a multi-year directive. It's hard to get a "cheap" rap if you're spending in the middle of the pack every year over a period of time.

Last edited by RaiderDoug: 07-10-2012 at 04:36 PM.
RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote