Thread: Rumor: Thomas to Calgary?
View Single Post
Old
07-10-2012, 09:37 PM
Dr Quincy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
I am not one of the people going around saying Thomas bailed on the team but comparing what he is doing and someone who is retiring is a bit off the mark if you ask me. You are correct, he doesn't owe us anything, but he does owe the Bruins one year of service. By retiring it would appear that he is done with his career but by doing what he is doing it appears to quite a few people that he just won't play for the Bruins.

None of us know exactly what the Bruins said to Thomas either.

Nobody is saying Thomas should be forced to work against his will, that is being a bit over dramatic don't you think? He just shouldn't be allowed to play in the NHL or any affiliated league until his contract with the Bruins is worked out one way or another.

Some people just don't appreciate the way he went about it and many feel that there would have been far better ways to do things. And you know what, those people have just as much right to feel that way and voice their opinions as Thomas has to sit out a year.

Now I don't exactly agree with all of that but I certainly understand it, I think I can understand how Thomas might feel as well if he is having troubles with his family. Maybe if everyone who is looking at this situation in strictly black and white, right or wrong way should just step back and admit that there are a lot of shades of grey here and none of us are completely certain of exactly what went on to bring this about.
You can choose to believe him or not. He says he wants to take a year off and decide what to do after that. It stinks that it counts against the cap, but that shouldn't be his concern. Patric Roy retired with a year left on his contract but Avs fans didn't call it bailing on the team.

As far as not being allowed to play somewhere else... you are exactly correct. He either plays for the Bruins or where they trade him or not at all. I see no evidence that this is about him trying to get out of town. If he wanted to play somewhere else the "I'm taking a year off" was the worst thing he could do to make that happen.

You may see shades of gray, but I don't. I see a person exercising his freedom to do what he wants in life. He's giving up his career or at least putting it on hold. It happens every day in every walk of life. The fact that he's an athlete or that there's a salary cap doesn't change that.