View Single Post
Old
07-11-2012, 09:34 AM
Teufelsdreck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
While they're all looking quite good, I wouldn't put any of them in the "Star" category just yet. Price is probably the closest and while I'm a huge fan of his, he hasn't won anything for us yet. PK is making huge strides but he's also hot and cold and hasn't put it together for an entire season. Patches has had 1 very good year and hopefully he can continue but it's still too early. Halak is a tandem goalie that I wouldn't exactly say is one of the tp 10 in the NHL. McDonagh also has a lot of potential but still hasn't proven himself either.

Time will tell what these players become but as of now, I'd say we don't have a true star yet. Even at maximum potential we'd have 2 or 3 in 10 years and all in the last few years. Like I said, with great success comes greater expectation. I'm not doubting he's done well, I'm saying that there's more pressure to hit a homerun and draft a bona fida super star. Hopefully Galy can become that player. Once you've drafted a star player all the critics go away. Case in point these bottom 6 teams. Noone every says anything about the drafting of 4 of these 6 teams:

VAN | 15 | 2221 | 148 - Sedin twins

TOR | 18 | 2130 | 118 - Okay, they actually suck at drafting

NJD | 22 | 2118 | 096 - thought of as one of thebest drafting teams in the NHL. Parise, Henrique etc etc etc

DET | 16 | 1897 | 119 - Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Lidstrom, Fedorov, Yzerman etc etc

CAL | 20 | 1675 | 084 - Yes they suck at drafting too

TAM | 20 | 1655 | 083 - Lecavalier, Hedberg etc

Point is when you draft a star player it doesn't really matter how many man games and 2nd, 3rd or 4th line players you draft. People focus on the top 3, top 2 and starting goalie. Once you draft those, getting the rest is much easier through trades and UFA signings.
Lamoriello traded up to draft Parise, which desrves extra credit.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote