View Single Post
Old
07-11-2012, 05:03 PM
Til the End of Time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
I for one didn't think Staal was fine long term as the 3rd line center here. Geno now has the best winger on the team (hopefully Neal stays there), stays out the entire 2 minutes of the PP, gets more offensive zone draws than Sid, and makes the same amount of money. I don't get how any reference to Staal is relevant to Geno.
i also didnt think staal would be fine as third line center, but i'd argue that the general consensus around here was that staal would be ok with being the third center, because he was playing for a winner and got more than third liner ice time. people kept pointing to ice time and saying he was more like a "third liner plus."

similar to geno. sure, he gets equal opportunity/linemates compared to sid. the stats back that up. but he'll always be playing on "sid's team." he'll never be the face of the franchise.

some people might not be ok with that. particularly professional athletes whose entire life has been about competition and being #1.

we also didn't hear a peep from staal about not wanting to be a penguin long term until like 3 days before he was traded. so i dont put a ton of stock into geno's percieved happiness with the team and his role here. parise, who is undoubtedly a class act, said all the right things regarding the devils, and now he's gone. money talks.

i'm not saying he wants to leave. but i don't think anyone can speak with a reasonable amount of certainty regarding his preferences.

Til the End of Time is offline   Reply With Quote