View Single Post
07-11-2012, 06:34 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Global Moderator
Kitimat Canuck
vCash: 50
My best game was probably winning our Beer League Cup a few years ago.

We had a weird year. We won only 3 of our first 18 or so games, before going on a huge winning streak straight through the round robin and the playoffs. We got to the final and we were down 1-0 in the 3rd and really couldn't seem to get anything going. Things got worse when two of our guys took penalties, putting the other team on a 5-on-3.

One of our guys managed to get the puck down the ice and forced their goalie to cover it, so I went out for the faceoff. Knowing we were down two men, I decided to try and poke it past the other guy for a shot on goal. The puck dropped, I perfectly poked it between the center's legs, stepped around him and ripped it right off the cross bar and in. Goalie barely moved. I probably couldn't do that again if I had 100 times to try it, but for two seconds, I looked like an All Star.

I followed that up with the most excited goal celly of my life (dropped to one knee and pumped my fist...understated but classy ), and then nearly took my defenseman's arm off when I high fived him.

A few minutes later, my linemate scored to make it 2-1. Then with about five minutes left, my line was out again and we went in 3-on-1. I carried the puck and dished it to our weakest guy (the one that hadn't scored) and drove the net. He went to pass the puck back to me, but the goalie reached out to pokecheck it - and it inadvertently deflected straight through his legs and in. I then nearly tackled my teammate with my excitement.

So we won 3-1, our line got all the goals including a shorthanded 3-against-5 and a ridonkulously lucky bounce. We felt pretty good.

And the Cup was actually a half decent trophy for a beer league. We had a lot of fun drinking out of it.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote