View Single Post
Old
07-11-2012, 07:34 PM
hockey365

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Well, Hockey Canada will soon have to realize that, as more and more 18 and 19 year old players stick with the NHL team and are not released to the jr. team, that those particular players will have to be replaced with equally talented 17 year old and undrafted 18 year olds. The naming of players just because they are 19 and the WJHC is a tournament for 19 year old players is a philosophy that's not entirely been working these past few years. Players like Mackinnon and Drouin are better bets to replace those NHL players than some 19 year hulking OHLer who was picked more for his age than his skill set. Hockey Canada is going to have to change philosophies a little bit.
I don't see any Canadian forwards who were drafted this past June making the NHL next season.

Hockey Canada took notice in 2009. The Canadian team, was comprised of Tavares, Evender Kane and Ryan Ellis who were heading towards their draft year. It wouldn't surprise me if the upcoming team contains 2 to 3 undrafted players again.

I believe it will be up front. We are solid on D, especially last draft, more Ds were picked in the 1st round than forwards. Hence, making a negative statement on the 94s forward.

The usual suspects would be:

Mackinnon: best 95 player, big strong and speedy, did exceptionally well at the Subway Super series last year

Duclair: his speed would be of benefit on the larger ice surface in Russia, without counting his shiftyness

Lazar: Lack of scorring power on the CND team, Lazar would fill that function superbly

Drouin: Playmaker abilities are uncomparable, would be beneficial against Russians

I see 2 or even 3 players from this list making the 2013 Canadian team.

Based on stats only, these 4 players can match the following players who's been invited to the Canada-Russia Challenge:

Hudon, 25G, 41A, 66 pts
Wilson, 9G, 18A 27 pts
Sutter, 28G, 21A, 59 pts
Leipsic, 28G, 30A, 58 pts
Lessio, 34G, 25A, 59 pts
Jenner, 22G, 27A, 59 pts