View Single Post
Old
07-11-2012, 09:16 PM
number72

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkpatrick View Post
I'm not sure which franchises you're thinking of, but I'll trust you that competitive teams have indeed been built in a one or two year timeframe. Were any of them complete team overhauls? Because that seems incredibly - almost unreasonably - fast for significant team turnover to me.

And I tried to explain in my previous post that I interpreted statements suggesting that Leafs fans should be "anything but patient" and put "nothing but pressure to make the playoffs" on the management as suggestions that the Leafs should reduce or ignore the focus on building the team in order to become competitive immediately, and I think that it is more important to create a team capable of continued competition than one that competes briefly.
Burke turnover of the team like Edmonton by selling off assets. But than he tried to rebuild on the fly by acquiring Kessel. This was the worst of both world because he got rid of the leaf team talent and than traded away his high value draft picks.

I was looking at the overhaul of Panthers who traded away some players (horton) than accumlated prospects via the draft. And also signed up UFAs and trade for players to ice a competitive team.
This is the best of both worlds - winning today with out sacrificing the future.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote