Thread: Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign Jeff Halpern (1 year @ 700K)
View Single Post
Old
07-11-2012, 10:53 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

vCash: 500
Anisimov and Boyle are about equal defensively at even strength. My eyes indicate that. Statistics corroborate it. Anisimov was on the ice for 31 GA at even strength. Boyle was on the ice for 38 at ES. They had relatively similar ES time (12:24 for Boyle, 12:44 for Anisimov). They were relatively equal in 5/5 QualComp (.581 for Boyle, .561 for Anisimov).

The major difference between the two, statistically, is that Anisimov started over 50% of his shifts in the offensive zone whereas Boyle was less than 30%. Then again, Anisimov also ended over 50% of his shifts in the offensive zone whereas Boyle ended a little over 40% of his shifts there. This is just an indication in a difference of roles.

Also, based on what I watch, Anisimov is extremely responsible defensively. It's why he was such an important part of the GAS line last year. Not for his offensive presence, because he clearly wasn't providing much of that, but because he allowed Stepan to be more aggressive offensively. He played the role of Lehtinen to Modano-Hull (not that Stepan-Gaborik are really a great comparison there )

I also don't think Anisimov is a bad penalty killer. Tortorella doesn't disagree with that either. It's not 100% where his game is being utilized, but it's not like the coach is reluctant to put him out there. He gets spot duty.

I was pretty disappointed with Anisimov's offensive output last season. However, I'm willing to overlook it due to him playing a position he wasn't totally comfortable in, forcing him to focus on his defense more than I would like. Let him play 3rd line C next year, I think we'll all be much happier with him.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote