View Single Post
Old
07-12-2012, 07:35 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kernalbyrne22 View Post
Thoughts on offering a top-six (Read? Simmonds?) + Defensemen (Mesz?) + picks, for a rental of Jarome Iginla. We have the space for him and it seems that we are going to miss out on other power forwards (Doan, Ryan) with asking prices being too high. Iginla replaces some scoring lost from JVR and Jags plus he's a righty with great first line potential with G.
Would they ask for Couter or Schenn like erbody else?
The rental aspect is the problem with this. Unless this is a move at the trade deadline with the Flyers looking like they might be able to go for the Cup, I donít think this makes much sense. Giving up Read or Simmonds, younger players who provide good, relatively inexpensive depth (which every contending team needs) along with a defenseman from a team whose defense is in question is a recipe for disaster. I think that players like Read and Simmonds are worth more than just their ability, for cap purposes. Look at the teams that win Cups Ė they have quality depth (except maybe the Penguins). Depleting depth for all star name players is not how to win Cups.

I think the team should try to solve any roster openings from within. It is a strange concept for the Flyers, but one that some teams actually try!

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote