View Single Post
Old
07-12-2012, 09:22 AM
Clint

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen Brother View Post
Gentlemen (possibly ladies) of the Florida Panthers board, I am a Jets fan coming to ask about one of your prospects. While we are currently division rivals I cannot imagine that willl last too much longer and I'd love to keep this all civil.

I'm curious about Colby Robak. He looks to put up decent to good numbers, sounds to be a fairly high quality two way guy, no part of his game outstanding, none bad.

I'm wondering what your take on him is, what his future looks like in the organization, if he might be available, what you would want for him, yada?

Much obliged.
I've been keeping a close eye on Robak since we drafted him, and I've always been quite high on him.

He's definitely a long-term project, but he's coming along nicely so far. He's improved every year since the draft, which is always a good sign. He'll likely top out as a good two-way mid-pairing guy I think. Bottom pairing at the very least. Good size, which he has always been reluctant to use. Better skating. Very prototypical puck-moving-defenceman type. Like you said, he's not great at any one thing but nor is he really bad at any one thing.

He made the AHL all-star team last year so he'll probably be one of the first defensive call-ups in the case of injury. He'll be competing with Tyson Strachan, who earned a one-way extension as he acquitted himself nicely in the limited time he was in the NHL. There's also the younger and meaner Petrovic he's competing with, who suddenly has an offensive game to go along with his defensive toughness.

In short, Robak looks to eventually make the Panthers, but it'll be tough for him to crack the lineup both now and in the future. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, as it'll force him to really fight and grow if he wants a roster spot. Right now we've got 8 legit NHL defenseman on the roster who probably aren't going anywhere, and a few young defenseman who definitely aren't going anywhere without a fight. The thing that's really working in Robak's favor is our lack of talent in our defensive prospect pool. Behind him, Petrovic, Matheson and to a lesser extent Bengtsson there's really no one.

I'm looking forward to our future defensive corps of: Kulikov, Gudbranson, (Garrison ) Petrovic, Matheson, Robak, and perhaps even Ellerby and Bengtsson.

Last edited by Clint: 07-12-2012 at 09:28 AM.